Friday, August 28, 2009

"Trendy Walla Walla"

Yesterday we picked up my mom and drove about an hour east to the famous little city of Walla Walla, Washington. We only went to "get away" from our regular "digs" here in the Tri-Cities of Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland and hopefully find some Good Food while there.

Walla Walla has taken the course on community improvement over the past few years. They have developed an extensive wine culture and what has followed has been a nice up-scaling of their "diners, drive-ins, and dives," not to mention the fashionably conscious shops that line the downtown section. I have to admit when we drove by the "mall" and saw it entering the delapidated stages of little use, I was amused and pleased.

We stopped in at the old train depot where we discovered, "Jacobi's" diner. It is the type you see on the Food Channel at "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives." The menu is extensive and the lunch we had: Chicken Ranch and Ruben sandwiches and a huge plate holding 5 separate alads - peas, broccoli, spinach, cucumbers and onions, and pasta, were all, as has been said, "To die for." The food was fairly priced and we enjoyed every bite of it. Hard to find places like this one here where we live.

Afterwards we ventured into the trendy down town area where my mother and my wife went shopping and I sat on a street bench across the street from Starbuck's and had a little fun with my sketchbook.

4 comments:

  1. Walla Walla! How funny it is that you bring us to the 'famous little city' - although I am out here on the east coast, in a sleepy little country town in Connecticut, my "little" (30 year old!!) brother just moved to Walla Walla to pursue an amazing job opportunity. I have yet to go out to see him, but I look forward to experiencing the "little things" included in your sketch & thoughts. Thank you for sharing!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great sketch and it sounds like a fun place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sketch - vibrant - love those crazy wiggling lines for the leaves, and your coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. Corners are always very fun for me to do.

    ReplyDelete