I wanted to see if I could capture light coming through very thin orange slices. This represents close to eight hours of transferring the image onto the watercolor paper with a graphite pencil; then adding color from a pallette that has been sitting silent for about 3 years...drying.
The painting, I think, is acceptable in this small format, but when magnified to larger, or original size, the massive amount of overworking I did shows quickly.
I think with fresh paints, I would have been able to achieve the dark background without the many layers this one required. Also, I wanted the foreground in a light, sap green with reflections coming off the slices. It didn't work out too well when I realized the shadows had to be as dark as they are. Overall, here, it looks ok. I'll post it and see what falls out.
Thanks to Wagner Compelo at Flickr.com for granting me permission to paint his photo.
graphite and watercolor on 140# arches sketchbook 8x10