Sunday, January 15, 2006

"Kansas City Jazz"


I find sketching from living things about as easy as driving the wrong way on a multiple lane one way boulevard. Certainly not as dangerous, but putting moving things down on paper ain't so easy.




Anyway, these are some of the sketches I did one wonderful evening in the Fairmont Hotel in Kansas City.

Just me, my moleskine and pen, a $12 Jack Daniels "on the rocks," and live jazz, not that "cd sound" coming outa my speakers, the real thing! Oh yeah, just one drink at that price, and I did sip it real slooooooooooowwwwww.






5 comments:

  1. I think your drawings from real life are good, you captured the scene & mood quite well. Plus, I think you will be better at drawing from life than you think as long as you are not DRAWING while DRIVING the wrong way on a one way street - you will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are WONDERFUL! I really get the feeling from your sketches. (My late husband was a jazz musician, years ago, and my brother in law too--they both played the KC scene a very long time ago. Now I'm all nostalgic, you did a GREAT job!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Jim! Basse's just about the best we have right now! I'm glad you got to enjoy them and your whiskey. Those boulevards'll get'cha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't graduated to that one way street yet but it looks like you're doing just fine. And it's not just that sketch living "things" but you did it in public. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete