Tuesday, April 14, 2015

"The Seattle Baroque Orchestra"

My son is a sort of savant with classical music.  It started when he first discovered how to slide a CD into a player, about age 4 or 5, I think. You can play just about any piece of classical music for him and he can tell you who the composer is and, more than likely, the name of the piece. He's 33 now, and still appreciates classical notes. This past Sunday the Seattle Baroque Orchestra was in town at the Battelle Auditorium:  Vivaldi's "Four Seasons."  So he and I went.  

Fully aware of the challenge of sketching people and musical instruments, while they are playing, I took my sketchbook to see about recording the event. 

Capturing the energy of the music they played is another challenge, so I decided, what the heck, go for it.




A few days later, I applied watercolor to see if I could somehow enhance the sketch to push the background back and bring the players and audience members forward.  So many times I have ruined pretty good drawings (which I don't think this is....) with color, so it is always a step into darkness to add color to them.  




6x9 Super Aquabee Sketchbook, watercolors, Lamy Safari pen with Lexington Gray ink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment