Monday, October 25, 2010

"The Sketchbook Project #1: Starbucks"


I found "The Sketchbook Project" online and my vanity got the best of me. The project is one where participants enter their sketchbooks into the Brooklyn Library where they will be barcoded, scanned and entered into their permanent collection.

Each time anyone views a participant's sketchbook, it is logged as such and the participant receives an email notifying him/her that someone has viewed their book.

I thought it all sounded like fun, so I joined up. $25 USD gets you the book and all the benefits of having it housed, forever, in the Brooklyn Library.

The problem, for me, arose once I opened the envelop and inspected the sketchbook. It is filled with what makes me think, "cheap moleskine" paper. The pages are very thin and will show ink marks on through to the next page; and they are not friendly to watercolor, just like the regular non-watercolor moleskines.

The instructions do say that the paper can be replaced, but I don't want to bother with all that. I'm not sure I even know how to do that.

So, we'll do the best we can with what we have, while we have it. ok?

ink, watercolor, 5x8 sketchbook project sketchbook

4 comments:

  1. I'm replacing the paper. Hey, you won't have to do so many drawings.
    Come on, you can do it. But hurry, the deadline looms near.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun project, but the thin paper definitely won't help. Nice sketch by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice sketch, what's your theme?
    I've stuck watercolour paper in on some pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea of adding the ".. 5 minutes.." words of your theme to each sketch. and your pages are great ! I quite agree with you about the poor quality paper so, like Debra, I sometimes stuck paper on the page when I wanted to do a "real" watercolour and I also stuck pages togethet when I did sketches with ink and I didn't want the sketch to be seen on the next side: It will of course reduce the total number of pages in the book but who cares? I'd rather make fun with my work than worry about counting up the pages particularly as the deadline is coming up!

    ReplyDelete