Friday, September 03, 2010

"Walla Walla - 'die Brucke' Building"

My friend, Dave, and I drove down to Walla Walla today to try to capture some of their old, and quite architecturally pleasing buildings in our sketch books.

This is the "Die Brucke" building that sits on a very busy corner just across the street from Starbucks. I am not sure what "Die Brucke" means, but I surmise it is German. (From E*phi and Peggy, commenters below, we learn that "die Brucke" means, "the bridge." Now that has me wondering if this was the name of the builder, owner, of the building, or as Peggy said, maybe the building itself was styled after a bridge...hmmmm)

Perhaps a bit overworked and wonky, the sketch was a fun one to do.

watercolor and ink

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful sketch! (And I really love that green of the tree! It's not too bright but still, it looks so "fresh" and vivid.) I wish I had someone to go sketching with too! It sounds like a lot of fun.

    As for the meaning of the word, I guess it's supposed to be "die Brücke" which means "the bridge" in German. (But then, I'm not sure if it really looks so much like a bridge? *g*) Well, great drawing anyway! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing it means brick--but that's just a stab in the dark..you've made symetrical look lively....the light falling with the shadows joining in---a kstch I like to enjoy.....winna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great drawing/painting! I love the ink work especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jim, I'm from the other side of Washington. Yes, "die Brucke" means bridge. The building looks inspired by the structure of a bridge...maybe it had a special meaning when it was originally built?

    In any case, I like your building, and it doesn't look overworked to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic sketch! The tree stands out real good in the drawing, at the same time the buildings is so well drawn, and I love all the details and shading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shadows and light, this is a really good sketch and not over worked at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this is a splendid sketch! I love how you handled the shadows and the windows. nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like your style. I'm a beginner. What ink do you suggest for novice users please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful sketch! The shadows are excellent!

    ReplyDelete