Tuesday, September 01, 2009

"Andrew Wyeth - 1983"

I have been reading a biography about Andrew Wyeth and went to Barnes and Noble this afternoon to find a book with some of his paintings that are mentioned but not shown in the book I'm reading. In the back of the book I found was a photograph taken of him in 1983, so I sat there in the coffee shop and worked on it staying much longer than I had intended.

Having seen his work twice, once in DC, way back in the 1980's, and most recently in Seattle, I have been a fan of his work for a long time.

What I find most intriguing about him is the detail he used in his tempera paintings, and the degree of thought and planning he put into his art.

According to the book I am reading now, most of his art was apparently heavily influenced by experiences he had as a young child in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, under the tutelage and direction of a man who was bigger than life, his father, N.C.

ink in sketchbook

4 comments:

  1. What an excellent portrait!
    So detailed and expressive.
    Three cheers, Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased to see this great sketch - I am currently reaading a book about his father. It is a series of letters written by Andrew Wyeth's father to his family. Contains lots of tales of Chadd Ford.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Doug - it Is and excellent portrait! Well done! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. great portrait, so expressive, I like a lot the work in the lines.

    ReplyDelete