Monday, March 24, 2008

Bologna Motorweek

I've been experimenting lately with the style of cross-hatching that Andrea Joseph does on the images she posts at Flickr, and here on her blog. While Andrea uses mostly pencils for her work, I made a recent switch from mostly graphite sketching to ink; and that's the result of my listening to the Danny Gregory podcasts. (One might think I'm a man of little sense of self-direction in my art, and one would be right on!)

Anyway, this is my first attempt to sketch a portrain using the cross hatching technique I've picked up from Andrea and the ink from Danny's influence. I think it turned out pretty good, the eyes are much better than I thought they would, the shadows around the mouth aren't much to get too excited about.

The lip color isn't right; but hey, it's red and that's all that really counts, right? I think she'll do.

micron pen, watercolor pencils, in watercolor moleskine

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you're clobbering together ideas from others styles to create your own statement. Let the fun carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,
    I think you did very well in your coss-hatching. It's not easy to do in ink as
    it is in pencil.
    Nice work.
    Donn
    http://Flickr.com/photos/waysidejourney
    http://www.alongthewayside.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on this one. She's come out pretty well. She has definite dimention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of shading and dramatic light. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete